Head - Banking & Financial Disputes Practice
Joint Head - Restructuring & Insolvency Practice
CHOU Sean Yu is the Head of the Banking & Financial Disputes Practice, the Joint Head of the Restructuring & Insolvency Practice and a Partner in the International Arbitration, Financial Services Regulatory and Malaysia Practices.
His main practice areas are banking & trade finance disputes, insolvency & restructuring, corporate fraud, investigations & asset recovery, financial services regulatory, commercial & corporate disputes, shareholder litigation, tort & contractual claims and domestic & international arbitration.
Matters of significance which Sean Yu has been involved in include defending an SIAC arbitration claim by an international oil & gas company with claims totalling US$500 million concerning production contracts of coalbed gas methane projects in the PRC, acting for a large Wall Street financial institution in relation to claims relating to the distribution of credit-linked structured notes, a satellite TV group in an arbitration dispute which culminated in awards for over US$230 million and resulted in a high profile enforcement challenge, an international private equity firm in a shareholders dispute arising from a US$260 million leveraged buy-out of a technology company, a Singapore-listed company in a minority oppression action concerning a S$80 million electrical products company, the directors of a Singapore-listed company relating to regulatory issues arising from a high-profile accounting irregularities scandal, the majority shareholder in a high-profile minority oppression action concerning a S$100 million family company, successfully acting for an Indonesian shareholder in an international arbitration involving interests in an Indonesian bank, liquidators and creditors in various insolvencies and work-outs in Singapore and the region (including the B$6 billion liquidation of the Amedeo conglomerate of companies in Brunei), a syndicate of international banks concerning the recovery of a US$600 million loan, and an international bank in a documentary credit dispute involving novel points of construction of the UCP 500.
Sean Yu graduated with First Class Honours from the University of Bristol and is admitted to the English Bar (Middle Temple) and to the Singapore Bar. He was a Justices' Law Clerk with the Singapore Supreme Court before entering private practice.
Sean Yu is a Fellow of the Insolvency Practitioners Association of Singapore and is on the Panel of Arbitrators of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB) and the Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre of Arbitration (KLRCA). He is also a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and current Chairman of the Board of its Singapore Branch.
Sean Yu is a contributing editor to Singapore Civil Procedure and was a contributor to the 2011 edition of Halsbury's Law of Singapore on Finance and Banking. He is a member of the Law Reform Committee of the Singapore Academy of Law and has been part of numerous law reform initiatives.
Sean Yu is recognised for his diverse practice and has been praised as a "thorough and well prepared" practitioner in The Legal 500: Asia Pacific – The Client's Guide to the Asia Pacific Legal Profession 2015.
Sean Yu is named for Banking – Regulatory in Who's Who Legal Banking 2017 and is ranked as a leading lawyer for Banking & Finance in Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2017.
Sean Yu is also ranked as a leading lawyer for Dispute Resolution & Litigation in Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2017 and was acknowledged as one of the "Local Disputes Stars" in the inaugural edition of Benchmark Asia Pacific. He is also recognised as a leading lawyer for International Arbitration in Best Lawyers 2017.
Sean Yu is also endorsed as a leading Restructuring & Insolvency lawyer in Best Lawyers 2017 and Expert Guides – Guide to the World's Leading Banking, Finance and Transactional Lawyers. Sean Yu emerged the winner of International Law Office (ILO) Client Choice Awards, 2015 for the Insolvency & Restructuring category in Singapore and is noted for "his excellent legal knowledge and competence, combined with his good commercial thinking, allow him to appreciate the commercial aspects of complex business issues and provide holistic advice to clients that goes beyond just legal considerations".
Sean Yu is an Honorary Racing Steward of the Singapore Turf Club. He is also the President of the Singapore Branch of the Convocation of the University of Bristol.
- University of Bristol (LL.B., Hons.)
- Middle Temple (Barrister-at-Law)
- Singapore Bar
- English Bar
- Banking & Financial Disputes
- Financial Services Regulatory
- International Arbitration
- Restructuring & Insolvency
- WongPartnership is the only Singapore Law Firm ranked in the Top 30 of the World's Leading Restructuring & Insolvency Practices
- Award enforcement win in Hong Kong S.A.R. in long running legal battle
- Global Arbitration Review: The Asia-Pacific Arbitration Review 2018 - Singapore Chapter
- Getting the Deal Through - Restructuring & Insolvency 2017 - Singapore Chapter
- The Asia-Pacific Arbitration Review 2017 - Singapore Chapter
- Getting the Deal Through - Restructuring & Insolvency 2016 - Singapore Chapter
- The Asia-Pacific Arbitration Review 2016 - Singapore Chapter
- Getting The Deal Through - Restructuring & Insolvency 2015 - Singapore Chapter
- The Asia-Pacific Arbitration Review 2015 - Singapore Chapter
- Getting The Deal Through - Restructuring & Insolvency 2014 - Singapore Chapter
- The Asia-Pacific Arbitration Review 2014 - Singapore Chapter
- Getting The Deal Through - Restructuring & Insolvency 2013 - Singapore Chapter
- The Asia-Pacific Arbitration Review 2013 - Singapore Chapter
- The Asia-Pacific Arbitration Review 2012 - Singapore Chapter