Joint Head - Commercial & Corporate Disputes Practice
Joint Head - Corporate Governance & Compliance Practice
Joint Head - Financial Services Regulatory Practice
Joy TAN is the Joint Head of the Commercial & Corporate Disputes Practice, the Corporate Governance & Compliance Practice and the Financial Services Regulatory Practice.
Her main practice areas are banking, corporate and commercial dispute resolution, and contentious investigations. She also regularly advises on corporate governance and financial services regulatory matters under the Companies Act, Securities and Futures Act and other regulatory statutes, including in relation to corporate fraud, anti-money laundering issues and market misconduct.
Joy graduated with First Class Honours from Cambridge University. In 1992, she was awarded the UK Council of Legal Education Prize at the Non-Vocational Bar Exam. Joy is admitted to both the English Bar and the Singapore Bar. She joined the Singapore Legal Service as a Justices' Law Clerk with the Singapore Supreme Court before entering private practice.
Recognised among the best in her field, Joy was named as one of the top 30 Corporate Governance lawyers in Singapore by Expert Guides: Best of the Best 2018. She was also awarded "Best in Corporate Governance" at the Euromoney Asia Women in Business Law Awards 2014 which celebrates the achievements of the best female lawyers across the region. In Chambers Asia-Pacific – Asia Pacific's Leading Lawyers for Business, Joy is commended as an "experienced litigator" in the 2016 edition, and is identified as a leading lawyer in the area of Banking: Regulatory since 2015, with clients noting that "she is extremely efficient and extremely intelligent, and I feel confident in the advice I get from her".
Joy is recommended in The Legal 500: Asia Pacific – The Client's Guide to the Asia Pacific Legal Profession for the area of Financial Services Regulatory (2017 and 2018) in Singapore. She is also recognised as a leading lawyer for International Arbitration in Best Lawyers 2017 and identified as one of the "Local Disputes Stars" in Benchmark Asia Pacific – The Definitive Guide to the Leading Disputes Firms and Lawyers in the Region, 2014.
Joy is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, sits on the Panel of Arbitrators of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC), and is also a Panel Member of The Law Society Disciplinary Tribunals appointed by The Honourable Chief Justice under the Legal Profession Act. She was a Member of the 1999 Rules of Court Working Party (sub-committee of the Law Reform Committee) and the Singapore Association of Women Lawyers. Joy also sits on the first Audit and Risk Management Committee of Tripartite Alliance Limited (TAL), the tripartite body established by the Government, unions and employers to promote the adoption of fair, responsible and progressive employment practices in Singapore.
- Cambridge University (B.A. Hons.; M.A.)
- Middle Temple (Barrister-at-Law)
- Singapore Bar
- English Bar
- Commercial & Corporate Disputes
- Corporate Governance & Compliance
- Financial Services Regulatory
- International Arbitration
- Getting The Deal Through - Government Relations 2019 - Singapore Chapter
- Chambers Global Practice Guide - Anti-Corruption Singapore 2019
- The Asia-Pacific Investigations Review 2019 - Singapore Chapter
- Getting The Deal Through - Government Relations 2018 - Singapore Chapter
- Chambers Global Practice Guides 2018 - Anti-Corruption Singapore
- The Asia-Pacific Investigations Review 2018 - Singapore Chapter
- The Asia-Pacific Investigations Review 2017 - Singapore Chapter
- The Asia-Pacific Investigations Review 2016 - Singapore Chapter
- The International Investigations Review, 5th Edition - Singapore Chapter
- The International Investigations Review, 4th Edition - Singapore Chapter
- The International Investigations Review, 3rd Edition - Singapore Chapter
- Corporate Governance Review 2013 - Singapore Chapter
- The International Investigations Review, 2nd Edition - Singapore Chapter
- The Corporate Governance Review, 2nd Edition - Singapore Chapter
- The Corporate Governance Review - Singapore Chapter
- The International Investigations Review - Singapore Chapter