Head – Asset Management & Funds Practice
LOW Kah Keong is the Head of the Asset Management & Funds Practice and is a Partner in the Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions Practice.
His main areas of practice are mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, asset management and collective investment schemes.
In the arena of asset management, Kah Keong has acted for sponsors and fund managers of private equity funds, real estate funds, venture capital funds, hedge funds and regulated collective investment schemes. He has advised on the Singapore Tax Resident Fund Scheme and licensing considerations under the Securities and Futures Act of Singapore and the Financial Advisers Act of Singapore. In his practice, Kah Keong has also advised sovereign wealth funds and insurance companies in their capacity as limited partners.
Transactions that Kah Keong has done include acting for Savills Investment Management Pte. Limited in the set-up of Savills IM Japan Residential Fund, LP as counsel for Singapore law; Indies Capital Partners Pte. Ltd. in the strategic alliance with Värde Partners and in the set-up of Indies Special Opportunities II, L.P; the sponsor and fund manager of Lion-OCBC Capital Asia Fund I, L.P. which is the first private equity fund established by OCBC Bank to invest in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and China and which raised S$550 million; L Capital Asia, the Asian private equity arm of LVMH Moet Hennessy, in the establishment of L Capital Asia Fund II which raised US$950 million; Global Logistic Properties Limited in the establishment of CLF Fund I, a US$3 billion China-focused logistics infrastructure fund; EPURON Pte. Ltd., a unit of Frankfurt-listed Conergy AG in setting up Renewable Energy Trust Asia, the first private business trust investing in renewable energy projects in the Asia Pacific; Executive's Meeting of East Asia and Pacific Central Banks (EMEAP), a coalition of the central banks and monetary authorities of ten Asia Pacific member countries, in the establishment and initial public offering of the ABF Singapore Bond Index Fund which is the first Singapore bond tracker fund to be listed on the Singapore Exchange.
In mergers & acquisitions transactions, Kah Keong has advised Keppel Telecommunications & Transportation Ltd ("Keppel T&T") in the acquisition of all the issued ordinary shares in the capital of Keppel T&T by Keppel Corporation Limited by way of a scheme of arrangement; Tencent Holdings Limited as Singapore counsel in its investment in Flipkart, which operates India's leading e-commerce marketplace, as part of a consortium which includes Microsoft and eBay in a US$1.4 billion fundraising round; City Developments Limited ("CDL") in its S$1.5 billion divestment of Sentosa Cove to a consortium formed by Blackstone's Tactical Opportunities Fund, CIMB Bank and CDL and Keppel Infrastructure Trust in its combination with CitySpring Infrastructure Trust to form the largest Singapore infrastructure-focused business trust with total assets of over S$4 billion.
Kah Keong is recommended as a leading practitioner in Investment Funds work in The Legal 500: Asia Pacific – The Client’s Guide to the Asia Pacific Legal Profession, IFLR1000 - The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms, Expert Guides – Guide to the World's Leading Investment Funds Lawyers; Chambers Asia-Pacific – Asia- Pacific's Leading Lawyers for Business since 2010; Who's Who Legal: Private Funds 2019 in the chapters of Regulatory and Formation and in the 2020 edition of Best Lawyers he received the "Lawyer of the Year" Award for Mutual Funds in Singapore. In Chambers Asia-Pacific – Asia-Pacific's Leading Lawyers for Business, Kah Keong has been praised for his "expertise in regulatory and transactional matters", and for "not merely rehashing the law, but providing commercial guidance in his advice". In Who's Who Legal: Private Funds 2019, Kah Keong draws praise as “a superb practitioner” and is “a go-to adviser to sponsors, fund managers and sovereign wealth funds”.
Kah Keong is recognised for his M&A work in both Chambers Global – The World's Leading Lawyers for Business and Chambers Asia Pacific – Asia Pacific's Leading Lawyers since 2012. In Chambers, Kah Keong is praised as being "focused, resourceful and proactive" and one who "possesses a real dedication to get the deal done without compromising [the client's] interests". He is also recommended as a leading practitioner in The Legal 500: Asia Pacific – The Client's Guide to the Asia Pacific Legal Profession, IFLR1000 - The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms, Asialaw Profiles – The Guide to Asia-Pacific's Leading Domestic Law Firms since 2014 and a leading M&A lawyer in Best Lawyers since 2012.
Kah Keong graduated from the National University of Singapore. He is admitted to the Singapore Bar and to the Roll of Solicitors of England & Wales.
- National University of Singapore (LL.B., Hons.)
- Singapore Bar
- Roll of Solicitors of England & Wales
- Chambers Global Practice Guides - Investment Funds Singapore 2019
- Getting the Deal Through - Private Equity 2018 - Singapore Chapter - Fund Formation
- The Private Equity Review (Fundraising), 6th Edition - Singapore Chapter
- Global Legal Insights - Fund Finance 2017 First Edition - Singapore Chapter
- Getting the Deal Through - Private Equity 2017 - Singapore Chapter - Fund Formation
- The Private Equity Review (Fundraising), 5th Edition - Singapore Chapter
- Getting the Deal Through - Private Equity 2016 - Singapore Chapter - Fund Formation
- The Private Equity Review (Fundraising), 4th Edition - Singapore Chapter
- Getting the Deal Through - Private Equity 2015 - Singapore Chapter - Fund Formation
- The Private Equity Review (Fundraising), 3rd Edition - Singapore Chapter
- The Private Equity Review 2013 (Fundraising) - Singapore Chapter
- Getting The Deal Through - Private Equity 2013 (Fund Formation) - Singapore Chapter
- Getting The Deal Through - Private Equity 2012 (Fund Formation) - Singapore Chapter
- PLC Multi Jurisdictional Guide 2012 - Investment Funds - Singapore Chapter
- Getting the Deal Through – Private Equity 2011 (Fund Formation) - Singapore Chapter
- PLC Cross-border Mergers & Acquisitions Handbook 2011/12 - Singapore Chapter